Gwrych Castle was erected between 1819 and 1825. The castle was also used as a training venue for the English World Middleweight boxing champion Randolph Turpin in the early 1950s. In the early 60s it was an occasional venue for the famous motorcycle Dragon Rally and in the 70s it was used as a centre for medieval re-enactments.
The castle was last open to the public in 1985. Thereafter, it started to decline. It was bought in 1989 by an American businessman however his plans to renovate the building were not carried out. As a result, the castle was extensively looted and vandalised, becoming little more than a derelict shell.